From the Blog

Issues attending college for a child support obligor

One of the most frequently asked questions I receive from younger clients involves whether they will be able to continue their college education if they owe a duty to support a minor child.  The simple answer to this question is that a child support court cannot prevent someone from attending[…]

Income Shares Calculating Child Support

Child Support means court ordered payments typically made by a parent to provide financial support to his or her children.  Until July, 2017, child support calculations are based upon child support guidelines.  A parent’s minimum child support payment is calculated from a percentage of net income, and the percentage of income required[…]

Legal Forms for family law in Kane County

Many of the forms required by Kane County courts are available online from the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office. Affidavit of Income and Expenses required for a modification Appearance Income Withholding for Support form Mediation report Memorandum of Judgment Pro se Motion form New Case Filing Sheet Order for Name Change[…]

Timeline Before Opening Family Law office in Kane County

On February 1, 2017, I founded the Law Office of Stephen D. Brown, which will focus on family law, particularly in post decree matters and child support.  In the period between when I moved into my new office and the formal opening of my office, I will be focusing on servicing existing clients, setting[…]